Sunday, August 17, 2008

Argument with Merv

Sunday's are my favourite. Sleeping in, unrushed breakfasts, the Sunday newspaper - everything about Sunday is so relaxed and timeless. I haven't written here for a while so a quick update on the last few weeks - I had the sales conference (where the A-team won best team costume!), the Fairfax ski trip with Ed and Murray, the City2Surf where I waltzed into the Sun Herald VIP marquee - ate, drank then left, and I sold my first $100 worth of cards. It's been a busy few weeks and all I want to do know is chill out and rejuvenate.

Merv however, doesn't feel the same way. I guess for him Mondays-Fridays are spent in the office, cooped up in front of a computer. So Friday, Saturday and Sundays are where he wants to be out and about - hanging out with friends, eating out, skating etc.

For me it's the opposite. My Mondays-Fridays are bustling with people, activity, work functions, socialising. By Friday night I'm exhausted and wanting to be in bed by 11pm. Saturday and Sundays are a time for me to rejuvenate and focus on the things I want to do - "Me-time" as I call it. Me time includes dedicating time to my hobbies, reading, spending time with my family and hanging out Merv. Maybe it's just a frame of mind, but I feel like I haven't had a lot of Me-time lately. The last few three weekends have included work events and things which I have had to do. I've been tired and cranky (those two feelings always go hand in hand with me) and I've just wanted to chill. Above all, I've been wanting some unplanned, bummy, alone time with Merv.

So what happens when two people in a relationship want to spend their time in different ways?

World War III

i.e. An argument leading to the silent treatment which has lasted 21 hours and counting. He wanted me to go out to dinner with the boys last night (where we would have ended back at one of the guy's houses with me watching them play video games all night). I wanted take out pizza and movies at home which was the original Saturday night plan we had talked about earlier in the week.

So we argued - his argument being that I was selfish and always took him away from things he wanted to do (... on top of the fact that he didn't understand how I could complain about not having Me-time as I no longer had to go to uni, and had all this free time during the week.) My argument was that I simply did not want to spend my Saturday night having to "work it" with the boys, and that it was hurtful that he would rather spend time with the boys over a night in with me (especially since I hadn't seen him during the week.)

I acknowledge that he had a valid point but so did I. So the solution is that we both ended up doing what we wanted to do - he went out with the boys and I stayed in.

I had a good night and I'm sure he did too. But what happens next? Is this just a fracture of a much larger problem?

21 hours, 16 mins and counting...

No comments: