
So quickly can one event change everything.
Last Friday, Merv called me to tell me that a close friend of ours' dad had passed away. It was a shock to all of us as he was fit and healthy, his family had no prior warnings. Mr. Soong had died of a ruptured aneurysm. His colleagues found him collapsed at work.
Death marks as a big reality check for all of us. This particular death came about so suddenly, so unexpected, that it's made me really stop and rethink my life. So easily could it have been any of my immediate family and I am so grateful that it wasn't. But life. We don't ever really think about how easily it could be taken away. This reality check has made me realise that the things I worry about in my everyday life, are so unimportant in the larger scheme of things. Why do I let such trivial things consume me? Work, money, plans for the future... Mr. Soong's death has reminded me that regardless of your plans for the weekend, if your time is up then it's up.
Stopping, taking a step back and looking at my life - I feel lucky. I feel grateful and there is so much for me to be grateful for. I have a happy and healthy family (my supportive parents are still so in love after 26 years and my sister is my best friend), a loving partner (who grounds me), a great job and friends I can always call on. I have the financial freedom right now to do the things I love to do - scrapbooking, figure skating, eating out and splurging on my loved ones.
I am so grateful for the people and things in my life. I don't say thank you enough.
One event has changed up my whole week - running around last Sunday to get dinner to bring over to the mourning household and pay our respects. A half day at work today to attend the funeral.
See? What's really the point of planning life out so far in advance and in such great detail? One blip on the sin curve of life can change everything and pull you in a completely different direction. I know people don't like talking about death as it is considered taboo but death is inevitable. Unavoidable. Unpreventable. A fact of life.
Enjoy and embrace the things and the people you have in your life right now. Be grateful for each day you get to spend with your loved ones. Be happy today. As tomorrow, you simply don't know what might happen.
I end with a quote I have mentioned before in my earlier posts - "Life's what is happening when you're making other plans..."
No comments:
Post a Comment