Monday, November 24, 2008

Sales Person of the Year Nominee

In a way, human beings behave like dogs. Although most people believe that money is the one driver of work productivity, it's actually recognition, glory and praise which can make a man "work like a dog".

I received an email from the big boss today saying that she wanted to nominate me for the FFX "Sales Person of the Year" award - a grandeur title with a big cash award to go towards an overseas study trip. I laughed out loud when I read the email as it seemed ridiculous that lil' old me could win an award like this. I told dad about it and dad being dad, his enthusiasm and excitement in the car ride home and over dinner, has somehow made me start believing that should I write a good enough nomination, I may actually have a chance at winning this title.

Now the competition is ON.

All night, I've been racking my mind thinking of other potential contenders for the award (my competition) and how I fair against them. Should I have responded to Soph's email straight away thanking her for the nomination and promising to get back to her ASAP? Damn! I didn't. Damage control - have to write the nomination as soon as possible so to get it to her asap. Need to get in early. First thing on the to-do list tomorrow morning...

... and the list of random, sporadic thoughts continue...

But really, what is this award? Another piece of paper to cram into my bookshelf? 2 hours of Congratulations from people who don't matter, the day after the Osper ceremony? Award money which will end up a hindrance as I'd have to organise a study trip, and then actually go?

The inner Leo within me craves the challenge but the zen Jack knows that in the larger scheme of things, "Sales Person of the Year" simply doesn't matter.

I'll put 110% into my nomination. That's what I do. But the string of mentally straining ideas that have been lolling around in my head all night, is what I was talking about in my previous post - unimportant matters we humans put so much thought into, that we really shouldn't.

Stop Jacki. Stop.

What will be will be...

No comments: