The last day of 2009 - a time for reflection of the year just passing. Looking back, there has been a plethera of events which have happened this year, milestones which will direct my path in the year to come. The two key events i.e. getting engaged and putting a deposit down on Little Pymble, will no doubt serve as catalysts to the flurry of activity next year. Wedding planning has already commenced (and already doing my head in), and a few small purchases at the Boxing Day Sales put our first chip into the fortune we will be expelling for the big move to our little humble abode.
I should be excited by these momentous changes but for some reason, as I sit here today typing this blog entry, I feel void. I feel that all these events are pointless and empty.
There has been an event this week which has left me scarred. My sister's boyfriend left his three guinea pigs - Alvin, Fatso and Wesley - in our care whilst they enjoyed a week long trip to New Zealand. Two days ago - on the 29th December 2009 - all three of them passed away. Two of them died in my arms. Their ends were painful and torturous as I watched them convulse and seize as they took their last breaths. It was awful and I will never forget the experience of being helpless as I watched these beautiful, cute creatures which I had grown to love in the 4 days they were left with me, writher in pain. There was nothing I could do stop it. Their deaths which came about so suddenly (I had spent the morning with them before I went to work and they were dead 5 hrs later), reminded me how short and cruel life can be.
Why live if the minute you take your first breath, you are destined to die?
I know this is a morbid question to ask, especially on New Years Eve. There's no answer and I acknowledge that all we can do is be grateful for this moment, this breath. But God, my heart aches for these three beautiful animals which the world has lost.
I will never forget you Alvin, Fatso and Wesley. Know that although our meeting was brief, I fell head over heels in love with all three of you. I hope you're in a better place now and that you rest in peace.
x
No comments:
Post a Comment