Monday, January 4, 2010

Welcome 2010

The first blog of the New Year. A fresh start.

This year is a year of inevitable change. I can sit here and cling tightly to the past which admittedly, has been very, very good, or I can open up my mind and embrace the changes to come. This is what I'm deciding to do.

This year, I will be leaving the nest. After 27 years, I will finally be moving out and setting up a home of my own. I will be starting my own little family unit - just Merv and me - and setting up our own nest as we prepare to embark on the next chapter of our lives. We've already started shopping for house stuff - dinnerwares, Tefal fry pans, a Wool Quilt, Bed Linen and a Christmas Tree. These iteams are now stored in the Wong spare room awaiting its grand debut in Little Pymble. It's been fun shopping for things for the home but also daunting as the reality of moving out starts to sink in. It's still a good 6 months away but the thought of not living with mum and dad, and not being down the hallway from Jen - I get a lump in my throat at the thoughts.
Best to not think about that and concentrate on the good stuff.

The good stuff being that I will get to go home to Merv every single day. After 10 years together, the thought of seeing him still gives me butterflies. He's been waiting to move out for quite some time now so I know he's glad a date has finally been set. Since the news of us moving out has broken, he and his mum have become closer and I'm sure that bond will only strengthen when we're a 10min drive from her restaurant.

This year will also see a month long overseas holiday to Europe in June. Studying at Cambridge for two weeks followed by 2-3 weeks traveling with Merv around Europe. Maybe because I haven't planned it yet (It's a good 6 months away), but I don't really feel excited about the trip. I know that will change. I am going to set a goal to have everything planned and booked for the trip by February. Hopefully the travel butterflies will be fluttering then.

This year will also be the year where I learn new skills. I am determined to undertake the silver jewellery course at TAFE. Five Saturdays and hopefully, I will have a new hobby tucked under my belt. I also want to learn photography, or at least, just learn to use my camera. Then comes using Photoshop and then Illustrator and then Indesign... Yes, I have big dreams. This year, I am determined to take that first step.

I will plan my wedding this year but I hope not to spend too much time doing that. I don't want to utilise a year's worth of "me time" to organise an event which is only going to last 5 hours. We've already started looking at venues. Hopefully, once we lock that in then everything else will be a breeze.

This year will be a year of fervent budgetting and reigning in of expenses as we prepare for a mortgage bound lifestyle.

This year will be a year of keeping my head down and bum up at work, earning as much as possible.

This year will be a year of establishing solid family memories.

...

I look forward to the New Year.

No comments: