Monday, June 6, 2011

Still the luckiest

A meeting on Friday announced the inevitable, that there will be redundancies across the Display Sales Floor.

Although the meeting did leave me with newfound respect and admiration for our new boss. The company vision is inspiring and it will absolutely be what's best for our survivial. I was however, dissapointed to learn that the company does not intend to invest any more resouces in our print sections. So all those hopes and dreams of launching our print sections online, to have iPhone apps emblazened with our brands, to start doing creative integrated proposals for our sections...

... were all quashed within the hour long meeting. In it's place, an opportunity for me to manage a bigger team, but they will be doing uninspiring monotonous work. The future for those who work on print sections is bleak. 

I can't stay in an environment that doesn't invite growth. I can't work in a stagnate team with stagnate products, especially when the environment around me would be flourishing as the rest of the company strives into the new Digital World. It would just be a matter of time before I become redundant.

Staying still in an evolviing, progressive work place is not an option.

There are other opportunities and I am very grateful for the people who have been looking out for me. (Thank you God for putting these people in my life.) It's time to dust off the resume and polish up my STAR Interviewing skills. Not me Star. STAR stands for Situation, Task/Action, Result and is the response structure for Fairfax's Behaviour Questioning Interviews.

To be honest, after an amazing two days at the Beginner's Book Binding course at the NSW Bindery (check out my blog post on Corporate Craftie - http://corporatecraftie.blogspot.com/2011/06/beginners-book-binding-course.html), I feel great. I'm starting to believe that maybe I can make a living in the creative space. I recognise that courses like the one I've just attended, provides a sheltered safe haven, where you are in a creative head space, and the opportunities for your creations appear endless. I acknowledge that reality is very different and if I was forced to produce creativity on demand, to have to earn enough to put food on the table, my feelings towards my crafty passions may be very different.

Still, the weekend left me thinking about what life would be like if I devoted all my time to creating. It wouldn't be about money, but I do need enough to get by. How much money would I require? What would I do with all my time?

Here's a preliminary fantasy schedule of how I'd envision my week.

Monday - TBC
Tuesday - Lace Making at Ruths ($20 for 2 hours)
Wednesday - Day at the Bindery (Cost of materials - $10/day)
Thursday - TBC
Friday - TBC
Saturday - TBC
Sunday - TBC

I do want to do some volunteer work but obviously, a part time job of some kind needs to fill in the TBC. But what kind of job?

Just out of curiosity, I've just had a quick search through Seek
Jobs Location: Sydney.
Key word search: "Part time".
Search Results: A 3 Day admin assitant role at Random House? A 2 day Comms Offer role for the Government?

Not bad! There are definitely options out there.

The present and the future is bright. I still feel like the luckiest.

No comments: