Sunday, July 24, 2011

No turning back.

I've been promoted! A new gig with a new title...

... a new start.

I've made a lot of mistakes in my first year of management. (yes, can you believe it's been a year already!) I am looking at this promotion, managing a new team, as a clean slate to mold the team I want to have. It will mean casualties on the way but I'm prepared for that, and this time around I'm going to discard the bucket of emotions I carry to work every day, and just focus on what is important - results.

This new opportunity puts me on the peak. It's exactly what I had worked towards and where I dreamed of being at the tender age of 27. (Yes, only 27. Birthday isn't for another 6 days!)

It does however, embed me into this company even deeper, as now I move into the rungs of middle management and getting out will be a much harder feat. Not just because of the 3 month restraint clause they have put in my contract, but also because this industry and this medium is all I've ever known. I have become specialised which can either work for or against me. For me, if newspaper makes a miracle comeback. Against me as it's made me redundant.

At the same time, I still believe that opportunities are there for you to make the most of. This new role gives me a door into the Digital world and it would be up to me to make the most out of that opportunity, to learn, to grow, to evolve.

What is evident is that there is no turning back now. The scales judging between my current job and all the crazy ventures I had considered pursuing,  are now very obviously tipped.

I'm in too deep.

But I think I realised that a few weeks ago in my corporate craftie blog post "Dear Reader.. this is my gift to you". (http://corporatecraftie.blogspot.com/2011/07/dear-reader-this-is-my-gift-to-you.html)


Crafting is my escape and I am lucky it is NOT my job... that I don't have to rely on making a living on it.

I am still the luckiest.

No comments: