Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sitting on the fence

Life is meant to be full of ups and downs.

It is the path we take through all the peaks and troughs which makes a 'life journey'. But sometimes, a trough seems endless and as we're so focused on getting out, we lose complete perspective on where we're standing. It is only when someONE, someTHING, some EVENT - taps us on the shoulder and momentarily distracts us. Only then, do we take a step back and look at ourselves from an alternate perspective. Then we realise that we weren't in a trough, rather, we had dug ourselves a pothole as we stood at the top of the mountain.

I feel that way now. I have so much to be happy and grateful for but my mind and my heart, won't quiet down and just be. I know to stop this, I just need to stand still but my mind wonders backwards and forwards in time, reluctant to focus on the present. I know what I need to do but I hesitate to do it. Why? Do I like the drama? Do I like the unease? Do I like sitting on the fence?

But life is about choices. I am choosing to stop it now. With my next breath, I am going to stop, breathe and relish in the present. With this breath, I choose to be happy.

No comments: