Sunday, May 18, 2008

Note to self: Reasons why I work


It's Sunday night and I've just gotten back from dinner at Jerry & Edwin's. It's so strange how different I feel tonight (after a great weekend) in comparison to how I felt on Friday night (after a long, hard, emotional week at work).

The weekend refreshed my memory, reminding me of all the reasons why I work.
> I work so I can go skating.
> I work so I can be a DINKY and enoy Tzatziki Pitas with guacamole and salsa dip.
> I work so I can just walk into the newsagent and randomly buy Creating Keepsakes for $9.95.
> I work so I can indulge myself with millions of brads and eyelets.
> I work so that Merv and I can eat like Kings.
> I work so that one day Merv and I will have a place to call "our home".
> I work so that when I can't decide between one dress or another, I buy both.
> I work so that I don't have to rely on my parents for money to buy... anything.
> I work so that I can afford to treat my family and friends to great food. (The memories...)
> I work so that I can spoil my sister rotten.
> I work so that I can spoil my friends with lavish gifts on their birthdays/house warming/ engagement/wedding.

These are the reasons why I go to work. And looking at the above list reinforces the fact that everything I go through at work is worth it.

Looking back at my post on Friday, I realise that the opinions of strangers don't matter. I was worried about the opinion of one particular person at work who has a lot of influence over any promotions to a middle management level. (She was also the person who hired me 11 months ago.) I want to move into middle management in 2-3 years and hence I was extremely concerned over her opinion of me - Does she like me? What has she heard about me? Why doesn't she try to make conversations with me when I'm sitting next to her at lunch? Is it because she's heard something negative about me? Does she think really badly of me? How can I change her opinion of me? Should I confront her about it? - These were the questions which had me stewing and spiralling into a vortex of anxiety, depression and worry...

Then the weekend happened and I was reminded that it simply doesn't matter. I should be working for the now - I am living for the now. Be in the moment was the subject of one of my previous posts - who knows what will happen in 2-3 years time? The reality is that I love my current job. I love it! I love the freedom it brings, I dine at amazing places, I love that it's my job to have my nails done once every so often at the company's expense, I have wonderful clients and I work in a great team.

Who knows what will happen in 2-3 years time? Maybe she would have left? Maybe I would have left! Maybe we'll have a glorious, glass shattering encounter leaving us best of friends or worse of enemies. Maybe the whole company structure would change? Maybe I'd move to another part of the company? Maybe I would have experienced an enlightening life change altering my business card title to 'scrapbooking yogi'.

The point is that I will deal with any obstacles as they come.

Right now... I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

No comments: