Wednesday, May 7, 2008

To be complaint free.

I came to a realisation this week - I have an awesome job. And for me to say that is a giant milestone. Everyone goes through ups and downs in their work, but for the past three years, I realised that I have a tendency to only focus on the downs. i.e. I complained and complained and complained. The people, the job, the building, the carpet... I saw the glass half empty with everything in regards to work.

This week, I simply stopped.

Out of the blue, I received a call from an ex-colleague whom I absolutely adored. He called me from home so the first thought I struck to say was, "You lazy bugger - what are you doing at home?" In my head, I thought he was going to tell me that he'd quit his new job and he was coming back - hence the surprise call. What I didn't expect was his next line of reply, "Jacki I'm at home recovering. I've had cancer." Time just suddenly stopped.

He's ok. The cancer's been K.O.'d with chemo. He's going to be just fine. But the thought of my friend - one of the most beautiful souls I've encountered in life - having cancer, brought me plummeting back down to reality.

I take things for granted. We all do and people makes excuses by saying that it's just human nature. No - that's not acceptable to me or for me. I have, and have had, a great life. The people, the experiences, the opportunities, my environment - I have absolutely no right to complain. So I've decided to stop. Will that be easy? no. But I'm going to try. And when I fail (yes, I'm going to fail), I am going to try again.

I have a great life. There is nothing to complain about.

I want to be complaint free.

No comments: