Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ending Self Absorption

Today I realised that completely selfless people are rare. As humans, it is part of our natural animal instinct to be self absorbed. Even the act of self-reflection is a selfish act as we seek to change ourselves to fit into societal norms. It is rare for us to be given opportunities to perform selfless acts but this week, I had multiple opportunities to do so. Exposing myself to ridicule and criticism all for the wellbeing of a complete stranger - Marvelous.

It was exhilarating. It felt fantastic to let go of all inhibitions, insecurities and my sense of "self", and just do something for no reason but the betterment of someone else's health and wellbeing.

If I could broaden this way of living, this SELFLESS way of living life whereby you always put someone else's health and wellbeing first, then I could sustain this feeling of contentment, forever exterminating the doubt and insecurities which lie within me. I realise now that insecurities only exist through selfish thought. Where you fear the perceptions and opinions of others. Well, this new way of living and thinking will stop that. If you don't put yourself first, then you will never think about what others may think of you, and hence, insecurities will never surface.

So I'm stopping now. Stopping this indulgence in self thought.

I'm going to Mervs.

No comments: