Sunday, March 21, 2010

Neil Perry's Lasagna

I have yet to mention that I have been attempting to learn how to cook over the past few months. Right at this moment, I have Neil Perry's lasagna baking in the oven. It's got way too much bechamel sauce - I layered it on thickly as I made to much and I didn't want the excess to go to waste. I also dodged the buffalo mozzarella and the freshly grated Parmesan, settling instead for the discounted grated mozzarella from the freezer isle at Coles. (Budgetary reasons) I'll find out how it'll taste in 11 minutes, but regardless of the outcome, I've discovered a deep mental belly churning sense of satisfaction from cooking. The mean feat whereby the combination of a whole heap of raw ingredients magically transform into a deliciously succulent meal, keeps me utterly enthralled with cooking. The only two things I predict will break the culinary spell I'm currently in is (as mentioned) budget and when it stops becoming a choice. Budget will become a dampener on the activity as, taking my current escapade as an example, I will be very distraught if this Neil Perry lasagna turns out to be a disaster due to the fact that I skimped on the cheese. (I must emphasise that I am excessively over budget this week because of a spontaneous splurge on Stephanie Alexander's Cooks Companion.) I may also suddenly change my mind about cooking when Merv and I move out, and cooking will become something forced upon me as oppose to a choice. No one likes doing something by force.

But until then, you will see many more food postings on this blog. Food is becoming a big part of my life so it's only natural it will be part of my royal escapades.

... And I just took out my lasagna. What are your thoughts?

 
(Note: Tasted Amazing!)

No comments: