Monday, June 30, 2008

Business Idea: The conception

The last week has been a roller coaster ride.

Beyond all the social activities (catching up with Rox and Dave T, Cuong's farewell, Jen coming home, Mile's 25th, skating and date night with Merv), the highlight of the week was Tracy's light bulb idea for me to start up my own card making business. One notion has snowballed into a mammoth project which has had me brainstorming names, printing off applications to register for a business name, waiting on hold with the ATO as I try to reactivate my ABN, looking up market stall booth hire and dissecting the Australian government's small business resource website. Sounds like I'm grumbling about it all but really it's quite the opposite... My brain has not felt so invigorated and active, since the HSC!

As Oogway said in Kung Fu Panda "There are no accidents." I truly believe that everything that has happened in the last 5 days has happened for a reason. I also believe that I am extremely lucky to have the friends that I do - they are just so supportive and inspiring! The farewell card I made for K.K. was the start of something for all of us. For me, it has kickstarted the ball rolling on my ambition to "Start my own Business", an idea which has been pinned up on my vision board for the past few weeks. For T, it has given her a project to channel all her creative energy, and as she's also so well connected, all the doors she has the ability to open and now being knocked upon. For Lizzie, it has taken her mind off the absence of K.K. and given her something to look forward to as we plan to sell my products at the markets in the upcoming weeks. This has been a whirlwind journey and it has only just begun!

Who knows? Maybe this whole idea will fold in a few weeks. (I already had a mini panic attack clicking through the government small business website and speaking to Rach who got me thinking that I needed to put together a business plan, GAP analysis, market analysis etc. prior to doing anything.) If it folds, it folds, as the learning experience has already been so incredible. In the mean time, I am learning and having fun! But I do have to make a note to myself about this whole adventure -

Note to self: Making cards is a hobby, not a job for you. Money is not the driver of this business idea as you already have a job which fulfills that ambition. Bear that in mind always as you will encounter many situations and opportunities, which will require you to make a small cash outlay with very minimal return. Expect not to recoup the costs. The market stall, registering for a business name - these are all examples which you have encountered already which require you to fork out money... and you already sense a subconscious pull within yourself, for you to withdraw from this whole venture. Be smart. Look at the affordability and the value. Look at the bigger picture. Don't withdraw. Just do it. Do it for the experience. Do it for the things you'll learn. Do it for the great adventures you'll have with Lizzie and T. Do it for yourself, for your own self development. Real life experience is better then an MBA.

As you've always said, amazing experiences are the reasons why you do your day job. You do your day job so that you'll have the money to splurge on things you enjoy.
THIS is the reason why you work. Have the faith and confidence within yourself that you can make this happen. xJac

No comments: