Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hurt and Anger

I was so angry yesterday. I could not believe the unethical and immature behaviors that surfaced from some members of my team. One of my staff members got hurt as a consequence. I feel like I failed her. She got hurt by another. I should have put up rules, guidelines, a great frichen wall of Chinas between her and the people who hurt her. I should have protected her from the anger, the tears, the pain. I failed her as her Manager. The issue will be addressed on Monday and the anger I feel towards the situation makes me want to lay a very heavy hand on the antagonists. But before I do, I have so many questions.

They all start with "Why?"

...

But I already know the answer. Human instinct. Behaviours born from raw human subconscious. Actions based upon one sole purpose - to maintain survival at all costs. Even if it means hurting and destroying another.

....

Everything happens for a reason. I will learn from this, to be a better manager, to remind myself to be conscious and not let the human subconscious, rule my mind and subsequently, my behaviour.

My job is to teach. I will do that on Monday and hold up mirrors to the culprits, showing them the monster in the mirror. Then it's up to them, to learn, to change, to grow. If they choose not to, then (purely because of the law of energy) they will go. And I will wish them all the best.

No comments: