Friday, April 22, 2011

Worst Week of Management to date

(Didn't get to post this up yesterday so date stamp should be Thursday, 21st April 2011)


This has by far been the crappiest week of management to date. I had to terminate someone on Tuesday and the whole process was awful. It was my first time and thank god I had a very experienced and skilled HR Director who lead me through the process. But the investigation, the deliberation, the disciplinary meeting, it was hard. Hard to watch the fight that was put up. Hard to see the emotional breakdown afterwards. Hard to walk the person out. And the worst part, the part that's still eating me up, is that the person (let's call them Bud) did not (and still doesn't!) understand the severity of his/her action. There is no doubts that the act was a dismissible offense, but Bud's focus was on the reasons why he/she did it. At no point throughout the process did Bud show remorse for his/her actions, apologise for the hurt they inflicted upon the victim, and suggest ways on how he/she were planning to rebuild the relationship. Throughout the whole process, Bud put blame on everyone else but themselves.
I'm also dealing with the aftermath of the termination. A shocked and sombre team, nosey and gossipy colleagues, and having to recruit to fill that position. Rumours have already started to trickle through and it is of no help that Bud has already gotten in the ears of some people on the team. I've addressed the team as best I can, reminding them of professional values and codes of conduct. I have a great team and although they may not agree with the final outcome, they understand, and all agrees it's for the best.


Still, it's been a hard week. Thank god, tomorrow (Easter Friday) is the beginning of my 10 day stay-cation (vacation at home). I'm going to make the most of each and every one of those 10 days. To escape. To breathe. To write. And ultimately, to regain perspective. 


No comments: