I am a corporate craftie.
Suited up by day, tangled in wool and threads by night, the corporate craftie dreams about quitting their day job to pursue a career crocheting granny squares. We dream about owning a successful etsy store, spending the days sipping hot tea and plodding around in slouchy pyjama pants. We dream about spending our days trawling through crafty blogs, planning masterpiece projects and photo documenting our days on the Digital SLR. The corporate craftie fantasizes about the day we are able to drop the "corporate" in our monikers and be a free creative soul with flexible working hours and living on a reasonable wage...
But alas, it's the later that stops most of us from taking the plunge.
Corporate life, as tough, ruthless and (at times) unbearable as it is, provides us with the one thing that a career as a crafty does not - financial freedom. The freedom to buy expensive wool, to blindly sign up to creative classes, to dabble in new crafts and to spend a small fortune on delicious handmade goodies. Crafting is a passion as oppose to a means to put food on the table. Crafting is an escape.
After reading about the closing down of 'Notions', a small crafting business from Hobart, the reality hit me like an express train. That the grass may not be greener on the other side.
(You can find Rosie's blog post here - http://notionshandmade.blogspot.com/2011/05/decision-time.html) In the same week, I also read about the dilemmas that 'Ink and Spindle', one of the most inspirational craft businesses in Australia, were having with design fraud. (Ink and Spindle post here - http://inkandspindle.blogspot.com/2011/05/this-is-what-you-get-when-you-mess-with.html)
These blog posts have had me shirk back into my corporate nook.
It's caused me to rethink my life as a corporate crafty, "Is what I have really so bad?"
I don't know. I have yet to find the answer.
So I've decided to start a second blog. A blog to document my journey as I embark on the quest to find a balance, a resolve, a bridge between my double life - the corporate lemming by day, and the crafty artisan by night.
Corporate Craftie (www.corporatecraftie.blogspot.com)
No comments:
Post a Comment