Saturday, May 21, 2011

Ruth Budge


I met a wonderful new friend today. She's someone whom I've been liaising with via email for the past week, since I emailed the NSW lacemaking guild regarding lace making classes. I had the vice president of the guild respond to me and that's how I started my email friendships with Ruth Budge.

She's the most technologically savvy pensioner i have met to date. Updating websites, touch typing on her iPad... She's absolutely remarkable. Today, I went over to her house for our first meeting over morning tea but my short stay ended up being a three hour conversation filled with tears and laughter. (Tears from yours truly of course.) I loved hearing her stories about her husband (who is living in a nursing home having being diagnosed with Alzheimer's), her growing up in the 40s and 50s, her adult children (two boys and one girl) and of course, her journey with lace making. She took me through her beautiful lace pieces and educated me about the proficiency tests for lacemakers. I've made a new friend and she's reminded me how quickly people can come in and out of our lives.

A simple reminder of one of the beautiful things about life.

No comments: