Monday, May 2, 2011

First Day back at work

I had a huge grey cloud hanging over my head on the drive in. I couldn't help it. I know that work is something I must do in order to have the amazing experiences I was able to relish in over the last ten days. Still. I dreaded coming in. I tried to logically reason with myself, telling me that where there's an upside, there's a downside. That it would be much harder getting people to part with their money and buy something I make, then it would be coming in to this job. That the weekend is only five days away.
 
None of it worked.
 
But then, as I got on the harbour bridge. MP (gawd bless that boy) asked me what my day encompassed and whether it would be dealing with fark ups which occurred whilst I was away. I said "yes. I'd be going in and dealing with shit", but then a light bulb moment. A thought that struck me like a bolt of lightening, pouring sunlight through the grey cloud.
 
Just strip away the emotion. Solve the problems objectively. Don't react. It's not personal just business. You're here to do a job. To solve problems, That's it. Your way is not necessarily the only way. Let your guys work it out, do it their way, and just be there if something goes wrong.
 
Emotions are not productive in a work place.
 
With that last thought, I'm ready to combat my day.

No comments: